Monday, July 16, 2012

Drying Rhubarb

I am on a drying kick so after last weeks post on Drying Kale I decided to try drying rhubarb. I have read in different places that it should rehydrate fine and we can use it to make pies or sauces.

This was taken after I had harvested my rhubarb for drying. I was going to try to take a picture before hand but it ended up being an emergency harvest because my CHICKENS were eating the leaves down to NOTHING. Sorry I was very annoyed. Anyway I went ahead and harvested it then rigged a temporary cover for some of seine web and a couple spruce poles. I am sure when BW gets home he will laugh at it but it was what I had on hand. Then I cleaned each stalk and cut into pieces.


Then I laid the pieces out on my Excalibur dehydrator racks
Then I turn the dehydrator on to 135 degrees or the fruits and leathers setting and let is start drying.
It is a REALLY long time. It took 2 days to get it nice and dry. Granted the weather here unlike much of the rest of the US has been very wet and cold. but when it came out it looked great.
I will do a post on when I actually end up making with this.
So what is your favorite rhubarb recipe?


1 comment:

  1. I've never thought of drying it! Great idea! Please consider sharing on my blog hop!

    http://offthegridat-30.blogspot.ca/2012/07/frugal-i-made-it-tuesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete